.hk LOCK is a domain name lock service for .hk / .香港 domain names. The service protects your .hk / .香港 domain names from unauthorised seizure by cyber criminals, a malicious online activity commonly called “domain hijacking”. By hijacking your domain names, the criminals can divert Internet traffic meant for your websites and services to other destinations controlled by them, doing substantial and irreversible harm to your business and reputation.
What is at stake?
A number of internationally renowned domain names have been victims of domain hijacking recently. The damages to you could include:
- Website defacement: your customers and visitors could lose confidence in your organisation; damage to your reputation could also be widely publicised.
- Loss of revenue / disruption to operations: if your website is your major sales channel or service portal, revenue loss and service disruption are inevitable during the hijacking.
- Leakage of confidential information: email traffic could be diverted and stolen by cyber criminals; confidential correspondences would be compromised.
Benefits of using .hk LOCK:
- An extra, separate, layer of protection of your .hk / .香港 domain names; similar to the 2-step verification process commonly employed by Internet banking.
- Diversification of security risks – even if all of your domain name credentials are accidentally compromised, .hk LOCK will be the final gatekeeper of your .hk / .香港 names against unauthorised modifications.
- Ease of mind for your online brand security – using .hk LOCK is like having two locks on the main door. Most households nowadays have more than one lock on the main door for adequate protection.
- Offline “key” for “unlocking” – when you need to “unlock” your domain names for modification, the verification process will be conducted offline. HKDNR will manually check the “key” on phone with the authorised persons upon an “unlocking” request. This closes the loophole of possible compromise of online communications (by means of stolen passwords, fake email addresses, IP, etc.).
.hk LOCK will “lock” your domain names against any changes of name server information on the system. You will need to appoint up to three authorised persons, who can request an “unlocking” of the modification functions when necessary. HKDNR will only unlock the domain names for a short interval after a thorough and rigorous offline verification process with your authorised persons. These measures, and the underlining security policy framework set out, will ensure your .hk / .香港 domain names are protected with the highest security standard of the industry.
Who should use .hk LOCK?
- Banks and financial institutions, governmental departments, utilities and public services;
- Owners of brand and trademark domain names;
- Online shops, online service providers;
- Anybody who communicates and transacts confidentially with their clients online regularly via their own domain names;
- Any domain names receiving high traffic volumes;
- Any websites handling sensitive and confidential information.
How can I subscribe to .hk LOCK?
For HKDNR customers, you can login your account through our panel, click “Manage”, switch on ” HK Lock” to proceed the purchase process.
For new customer, you can order .hk LOCK during your new domain registration process (NDN) in HKDNR website.
The subscription fee of .hk LOCK is HK$2,000 per domain name per annum.