What is a SSL Certificate？
You may not have heard of SSL certificate, but in fact, this technology has been hidden in our daily network activities and plays an important role for network security. The so-called SSL certificate refers to the Secure Sockets Layer. The “s” in “https://” that we usually see when we type in a web address means that the web page is protected by SSL technology, in short, it is an encrypted and authenticated web page. If you pay close attention to the URL bar, you will see a locked pattern on the left side, which is the SSL certificate mark.
Why Should I Install SSL Certificate
Protect Your Website and Build Consumer’s Confidence
SSL protects the data transmission between our web browsers and web servers in a secure communication layer, preventing hackers from taking advantage of this process and stealing data or tampering with the transmitted data. Therefore, from the customer’s point of view, when making a purchase online, sensitive information such as bank account, credit card information and personal address will not be stolen by a third party for unlawful use, thus gaining more confidence in spending or trading on that secure website.Even if a hacker intercepts your customer’s information through different means, since all content sent over SSL is encrypted, it would be much more difficult for hacker to read the information and therefore increases the deterrent effect of the intrusion. The unscrupulous who take shortcuts usually don’t spend their time on futile task.
SSL Helps Improve SEO Performance
The use of SSL certificates does not only enhance web security and customer confidence, but another important function of SSL certificates is also that they can effectively improve SEO performance. For example, Google, the leading search engine in Hong Kong and the world, announced a few years ago that its algorithm will give higher ranking to web pages with SSL security certificate. It is not difficult to imagine that as a search engine, the purpose is to bring quality search content to users. And with the security performance of SSL, which can prevent users’ data from being lost in transmission and protect the content through encryption process, Google will naturally give a higher evaluation when it examines the web pages. And what does it mean to have outstanding performance in SEO? Higher ranking brings more exposure, higher click-through rate and the business that comes with it.
Do I Really Need to Install SSL on My Website?
To answer this question, try to think about our daily experience. It’s true that when a website’s SSL security certificate is in effect, it doesn’t make a big difference if you don’t pay close attention to it; however, if your website does not have SSL, the browser will show the warning of “your connection is not private”. Now imagine that you are a potential business partner, or if you were about to spend money on a purchase and entrust a company with your privacy, you would be deterred by the warning that comes before it. Even if your website’s primary function is to introduce your company, not involving any transaction, this kind of security alert can still have a negative impact on your company’s credibility.
SSL certificate can bring you more benefits than just network security, it helps to boost your customers’ confidence and SEO ranking, and together with “.hk” domain name, it helps building your real strength on a solid foundation, allowing more customers and partners to know about your business. Click the link below to learn more about our SSL certificate offerings and purchase your SSL certificates now.
Purchase SSL certificate now : https://sslcert.hkdnr.hk
DNS hosting consists of specific information about your .hk domain name. It translates the domain name into IP address for different types of domain name related actions, which directs the browser to the exact Name Server in order to show the correct content.
Our DNS Hosting Service allows you to host resource records for your .hk / .香港 domain name and one subdomain name. The total number of resource records available for each domain name is 20.
If you use HKDNR’s DNS Hosting Service, our system will update the Name Server (NS) records of your domain name to HKDNR’s servers (NS9.HKDNR.NET.HK, NS10.HKDNR.NET.HK, NS11.HKDNR.NET.HK and NS12.HKDNR.NET.HK) at the end of the set-up process.
Please note that this service is not applicable to old contract customers.
If you want to use this service, make sure HKDNR’s name servers (NS5.HKDNR.NET.HK, NS6.HKDNR.NET.HK) are used as parking servers. You can do the URL Redirection setting at the end of this online registration process or you can login to your account at www.hkdnr.hk after your domain name is activated.
.hk WATCH is a domain name monitoring service, helping you protect your brand online. By using .hk WATCH, you can monitor the registration of .hk domain names and have an alert sent to notify you if there is a newly registered domain name which may potentially confuse or mislead your targeted audience. This service will reduce the possibility of malicious use of .hk domain names in bad faith and potential brand infringement.
Why use .hk WATCH?
- Keep a close eye on .hk domain names that are being registered by your potential competitors to confuse your potential customers
- Quickly discover and take prompt action when someone is possibly infringing your trademark
- Be alerted early to potential threats of phishing attacks damaging your company
- Track changes to a domain name that you may be pursuing for legal action if potentially damaging infringements are spotted
Benefits of using .hk WATCH
.hk WATCH provides you with a reliable, timely monitoring service that protects your brand’s right of use. Users can be benefited by:
- closely monitoring .hk domain names to identify those which are identical, similar or feature common misspellings of a name, trademark or service mark, as well as those combining prefix/suffix ‘wildcards’ with trademarks, effectively tackling the issues of .hk domain names being used for cybersquatting and typosquatting activities
- when you first subscribe to .hk WATCH, receiving a report showing existing .hk domain names which resemble your brand name(s) or mark(s)
- receiving daily emails listing new .hk domain name registrations that resemble your brand name(s) or mark(s)
Who should use .hk WATCH?
- The Hong Kong TradeMark Holders of the name applied
- Holders of mark accepted by TradeMark Clearing House (TMCH)
- Law firms, financial institutions and big corporations
- Owners of brand and trademark domain names
- Anyone who is able to provide proof of association between the applicant name, business nature (for names that are generic terms) and the mark
How can I subscribe to .hk WATCH?
If you are interested to subscribe or have enquiries about .hk WATCH service, please email to firstname.lastname@example.org or call +852 2319 1313.
.hk LOCK is a domain name lock service for .hk / .香港 domain names. The service protects your .hk / .香港 domain names from unauthorised seizure by cyber criminals, a malicious online activity commonly called “domain hijacking”. By hijacking your domain names, the criminals can divert Internet traffic meant for your websites and services to other destinations controlled by them, doing substantial and irreversible harm to your business and reputation.
What is at stake?
A number of internationally renowned domain names have been victims of domain hijacking recently. The damages to you could include:
- Website defacement: your customers and visitors could lose confidence in your organisation; damage to your reputation could also be widely publicised.
- Loss of revenue / disruption to operations: if your website is your major sales channel or service portal, revenue loss and service disruption are inevitable during the hijacking.
- Leakage of confidential information: email traffic could be diverted and stolen by cyber criminals; confidential correspondences would be compromised.
Benefits of using .hk LOCK:
- An extra, separate, layer of protection of your .hk / .香港 domain names; similar to the 2-step verification process commonly employed by Internet banking.
- Diversification of security risks – even if all of your domain name credentials are accidentally compromised, .hk LOCK will be the final gatekeeper of your .hk / .香港 names against unauthorised modifications.
- Ease of mind for your online brand security – using .hk LOCK is like having two locks on the main door. Most households nowadays have more than one lock on the main door for adequate protection.
- Offline “key” for “unlocking” – when you need to “unlock” your domain names for modification, the verification process will be conducted offline. HKDNR will manually check the “key” on phone with the authorised persons upon an “unlocking” request. This closes the loophole of possible compromise of online communications (by means of stolen passwords, fake email addresses, IP, etc.).
.hk LOCK will “lock” your domain names against any changes of name server information on the system. You will need to appoint up to three authorised persons, who can request an “unlocking” of the modification functions when necessary. HKDNR will only unlock the domain names for a short interval after a thorough and rigorous offline verification process with your authorised persons. These measures, and the underlining security policy framework set out, will ensure your .hk / .香港 domain names are protected with the highest security standard of the industry.
Who should use .hk LOCK?
- Banks and financial institutions, governmental departments, utilities and public services;
- Owners of brand and trademark domain names;
- Online shops, online service providers;
- Anybody who communicates and transacts confidentially with their clients online regularly via their own domain names;
- Any domain names receiving high traffic volumes;
- Any websites handling sensitive and confidential information.
How can I subscribe to .hk LOCK?
For HKDNR customers, you can login your account through our panel, click “Manage”, switch on ” HK Lock” to proceed the purchase process.
For new customer, you can order .hk LOCK during your new domain registration process (NDN) in HKDNR website.
The subscription fee of .hk LOCK is HK$2,000 per domain name per annum.
You can also refer to the .hk LOCK FAQ and User Guide for further information.
web2social – Free Web Template (exclusive for HKIRC member)
web2social – Free Web Templates to Expand New Markets
web2social can connect the content originally limited to social platforms to your exclusive webpage, and combine the layout according to your own mind to create a unique website; at the same time, it can help the webpage to play the corporate network identity function, so that the outside world can use the search engine to access your network. You can find your online identity in it without the restriction by the policies of social platforms to limit the exposure of your pages.
web2social combines the advantages of both website and social media, to help you reach potential customers more comprehensively. Now as long as you become a member of HKIRC, you can enjoy this upgrade function for free, which helps you to obtain a unique and exclusive identity immediately after registering a domain name!
Introduction Video (Chinese Only):
1) Network novice, no experience in building a website;
2) Enterprise with limited resources and time to manage web pages;
3) Relying on social platforms to conduct business
4) Want to enjoy free website hosting service without extra charge
Three Highlighted Functions:
1) Identity of Online Present
Easily create professional website privacy
Through .hk website, excellent registration function in local search engine, improve SEO and make you more likely to appear in front of potential customers.
2) Real-Time Update
Update together to reduce management time
Update the latest content on social platforms and reflect on web page in real time, greatly reducing management time.
3) Connect with Social Medias
Multiple platforms work together to display exciting content
Support a number of the most extensive social platforms, breakthrough the boundaries between each platforms, a web page allows you to learn more exciting content, let customers know more exciting content.
web2social Template Example
Six templates, change as you like!
Sign up for web2social Now
Let’s register .hk / .香港 domain name and apply for HKIRC membership now. Enjoy the web2social upgrade function for free!
If you have registered .hk and .香港domain names with HKDNR and would like to try web2social service, please click here to log in. (You may need to change your domain name servers to use web2social services. See the FAQ at the bottom of this page for details.)
This service is not available for old contract customers.
Website Forwarding Service
If you want to point the registered .hk and .香港 domain names to the same website, you can click here to forward the registered domain name to the existing website.
(You may need to change your domain name servers to benefit from site forwarding. See the FAQ at the bottom of this page for details.)
Web2social is a free website builder exclusively for HKDNR customers. This service aims at assisting .hk domain customers to create a sleek, basic website with ease. Customers who have purchased .hk/.香港 domain at HKDNR would be eligible for using web2social service. This service also comes with free webhosting, and it has 3 Sets of templates to choose from. Simply fill in your company information, contact details, and upload images, your website would be ready right away. This service is not applicable to HKDNR old contract domain holders, nor is it applicable to domains other than .hk/.香港.
provided by HKDNR?
Since web2social can only be configured via HKDNR customer platform, thus this service is only exclusively for HKDNR customers. Please check with your service provider for domain related service(s).
use the web2social service provided by HKDNR?
Since web2social can only be configured via HKDNR customer platform, thus this service only supports .hk domain, and it is only exclusively for HKDNR customers. Please check with your service provider for domain related service(s).
.hk web2social and leverage the newly purchased hosting services concurrently?
If you have decided to use the hosting services purchased from another service provider, you would need to change the name server settings and point your .hk domain name to the name servers provided by the service provider instead of HKDNR’s. Thus you cannot keep your .hk web2social running concurrently.
How can I configure my .hk/.香港 domain and switch to the newly purchased service?
You can log into your domain management account and point your domain names to the name servers provided by the new service provider. If you do not intend to use the domain, and only want to park your domain at HKDNR, you can also log into your domain management account and change the setting.
Free domain services provided by HKDNR include: web2social, URL redirecting and domain parking. For technical reasons, customers may only choose 1 out of the 3 free services above. Once you start using web2social, you would not be able to configure URL redirecting or domain parking.